when piston rod is provided on both side of the piston, it is called as double piston rod double acting cylinder.
Table of Contents
- It consists of cylinder body with end covers, the piston is fitted with piston seals.
- The piston rod is extended and provided on both side of the piston. Hence area on both side of the piston is same.
- When oil enters through inlet port A, it pushes the piston to complete forward stroke by draining the oil from the other port B.
- When oil enters through inlet port B, it moves the piston to complete return stroke by draining the oil from the other port A.
- As the area on both side of piston is same, it produces equal forces in both directions.
- The area on both side is,
D = Diameter of cylinder bore
d= Diameter of piston rod
- It is used in table movement of grinding machine.
- It is useful in robotic mechanisms where the rod is clamped at both ends and the body moves.
- If you want video of this topic, then check below link
- How Double rod double acting cylinder work?