What is Double Acting Hydraulic Cylinder | Construction, Working
When oil acts on both side of piston i.e. on face side for forward movement and piston rod side for return movement. It is known as double acting hydraulic cylinder.
It consists of
- Cylinder body – It is seamless tube of Al alloy or steel with chrome plated to provide better corrosion and scratch resistance, stainless steel, cast iron also used for body.
- Piston and piston rod – The pistons are made of aluminium alloy castings. They are fitted precisely in the cylinder bore with the help of piston seals. Piston rod is attached to the piston and made of steel bar.
- Piston seals – It is provided for leak proof assembly between cylinder bore and piston.
- Bushing – Bush are provided for smooth movement of piston rod and for reducing leakage of oil. They are made of brass, bronze, babbit metal and press fitted to cap end.
- End covers :- The end covers are provided at the front end as well as at rear end.
- When pressurised oil enters through inlet A from face side of piston, it pushes the piston to the right hand side to complete forward stroke
- while the oil on the rod side is delivered through the outlet to the tank through the outlet B.
- When pressurised oil enters through inlet B from piston rod side. It moves the piston to the left hand side and completes the return stroke.
- The oil from the face side is drained out through outlet A to the tank.
- It gives to and fro (reciprocation) movement of piston.
Cushioning of double acting cylinder
- Cushioning of cylinders means gradual deceleration of the piston near the end of its stroke. It means slowing down the speed of the piston near the end of cylinder body.
- It is very helpful to reduce shock or impact of load on the cylinder end covers specially when a heavy load is connected to the rod or the cylinder and is working at very high speed.
- The cushion assembly is around 25mm long for a standard cylinder. It consists of a small passage to allow entrapped oil to the port with a cushion needle with an check valve to allow free flow of oil during reverse flow of oil during reverse start of piston travel.
- The end of the cushion nose is tapered in order to enter more easily into the cushion chamber.
- The fluid is normally leaves through the outlet port directly, but when cushioning boss enters the recess, the fluid around the piston is trapped.
- The only way the fluid can escape is through the secondary path which is restricted by needle valve.
- The needle valve is adjusted so that the piston is slowed up over the last part of its stroke by a pressure build up in the fluid escaping past the needle valve.
- It is used in machine tool like shaper machine, table movement of milling, hydraulic press machines etc.
- It is used in material Handling equipment, construction equipment, etc.
- It can be used for push and pull force.
How many inlets to double acting cylinder ?
A Double acting hydraulic cylinder has two oil inlets for hydraulic oil at both the ends of the chambers.
On passing hydraulic oil from one end, piston moves forward and pushes the oil out from the other end and vice versa.
So each end of the cylinder acts as both inlet and outlet for the hydraulic oil.
- What is a double acting hydraulic cylinder?
When oil acts on both side of piston i.e. on face side for forward movement and piston rod side for return movement. It is known as double acting cylinder.
- Where double acting cylinder used for?
Image result for double acting hydraulic cylinder
Double-acting cylinders are typically used in all applications where the thrusts and stroke lengths required are in excess of those available from single-acting cylinders.
- Why Is Cushioning Necessary?
Cushioning is needed to lower the speed of the cylinder before it reaches the end cap. Lowering the speed of the piston helps reduce stress on the components within the cylinder. It also lessens vibration conveyed to the other parts of the machine.
- How does a cushioned hydraulic cylinder work?
How do hydraulic cylinder cushioning decelerate cylinder? As mentioned, the cylinder retracts when the fluid flows outwards and when the piston rod approaches the end cap. In a cushioned hydraulic cylinder, the cushion plunger will enter into the cushion cavity when it approaches the end cap.
- If you want to video on this topic, then click below link
- How Double Acting Hydraulic Cylinder work ?
You may also like
8 thoughts on “What is Double Acting Hydraulic Cylinder | Construction, Working”
Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept
Pretty part of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to assert that I acquire
actually loved account your weblog posts. Anyway
I’ll be subscribing for your augment and even I success
you get admission to persistently fast.
Wonderful post however , I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this topic? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Thanks!
One thing I’d prefer to say is that often car insurance cancellation is a hated experience and if you are doing the best things being a driver you simply won’t get one. A lot of people do receive the notice that they have been officially dumped by their insurance company and several have to scramble to get added insurance following a cancellation. Cheap auto insurance rates tend to be hard to get after the cancellation. Knowing the main reasons pertaining to auto insurance cancelling can help people prevent losing one of the most essential privileges offered. Thanks for the thoughts shared by your blog.